This is a crucial role in the Nuffield Trust’s communications team. The postholder will provide day-to-day management of our press office, oversee our social media profile and work with colleagues in managing our relationships with external organisations, including parliamentarians and stakeholder groups.
The Media and Communications Manager will be part of a dynamic Communications Department, made up of professionals in media relations and public affairs, digital communications, marketing, publishing and events management. This is a critical role for the organisation and the successful candidate will be required to take on significant responsibility for the communications elements of many of our major work programmes.
We are looking for candidates with experience of managing a busy press office and overseeing the communications elements of complex policy and/or research projects. We are looking for someone to hit the ground running, so an interest in health and social care policy is vital – but the ability to work with and communicate complex policy and research is more important than in-depth knowledge or experience of the NHS or health policy.
Raise the Nuffield Trust's profile in the media by:
- providing a first rate media relations and news information service, responding to media and other influencer audience enquiries and coverage, briefing journalists directly, drafting reactive statements and letters for publication, and ensuring media interventions are timely and high-quality
- managing and overseeing the press office on-call rota, which involves being an out-of-hours contact for one week in every four
- working closely with senior members of the team to develop proactive media messages on Nuffield Trust work, drafting press releases and communications plans for report launches and other outputs
- preparing spokespeople for broadcast interviews, arranging regular media training for staff, and contributing to communications team training sessions for staff
- managing contracts with relevant suppliers, for example our media monitoring agency and parliamentary monitoring service; and overseeing the Comms team assistant in gathering information about our profile.
Manage the Nuffield Trust’s Twitter profile and any other social media work, including:
- overseeing the work of the Communications Assistant to ensure a steady stream of content for Twitter, including scheduled content out of hours
- working closely with the Digital Designer to devise creative social media summaries of our work
- developing ideas for creative promotion of our work online, including through videos, animations, livestreams and other digital outlets
- providing support and development to staff around the organisation to develop and maintain their own Twitter profiles; reviewing and developing the social media policy
Play a leading role in promoting the Nuffield Trust to key external audiences through:
- ensuring that parliamentary, government and other key influencer audiences, including the media, are informed of our research and other activities, and that they are aware of our policy recommendations
- playing a prominent role in identifying and developing opportunities for getting our research across to key influencer audiences effectively
- analysing, monitoring and forward planning information in order to develop timely reactive plans, such as comment, statements and briefings
- maintaining a database of key stakeholder contacts, including parliamentarians and key stakeholders; overseeing the dissemination of Nuffield Trust research to these audiences.
Contribute to the upkeep of the Communication Department’s systems and information resources by:
- responding promptly to requests for information from the Director of Communications, Leadership Team or Chief Executive, including by routinely collecting and providing key performance indicators
- investigating ways to test and research the quality of our media relations and public affairs activities with our target audiences through regular market research
- managing our media and public affairs budgets, sourcing suppliers, and working with the finance team to ensure invoices are prepared promptly and that budgets are monitored.
Contribute to the Trust’s values
- uphold the ethos of the Nuffield Trust, demonstrating a commitment to our principles of objectivity and equal opportunities.
- understand and apply the principles of good research and information governance and abide by the Nuffield Trust research policies.
- Undertake any other duties which may reasonably be required in furtherance of the objectives of the Trust.
- Experience of playing a key role in the management of a busy press office
- Experience of strategically securing high profile media coverage on a range of policy issues
- Experience of managing corporate social media accounts
- Demonstrable success in devising, implementing and evaluating strategic communications plans
- A solid set of pre-existing contacts across the UK news and specialist media is highly desirable
- Sound experience of media and public affairs work, ideally in a public policy environment
Skills and abilities
- Ability to absorb, analyse and impart information quickly
- Excellent written communications skills and news sense, including accurate use of English and the ability to write and proof concise, engaging content
- Good personal presentation and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines, and to prioritise heavy workload
- IT literacy – knowledge of Word and Excel are essential
- Good knowledge of UK national, broadcast, online and, preferably, health trade media.
- Demonstrable knowledge of using social media in a news environment
- Good knowledge of the workings of Parliament and the development of legislation and policy more generally
- An interest in and knowledge of politics and public policy and the media
- A desire to work in communications for a health and social care policy organisation
- Ability to work well independently, and to contribute well as part of a team
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
- Ability to solve problems and propose practical solutions when faced with difficulties
- Ability to work systematically on a number of tasks simultaneously and then deliver to deadline
- Strong interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy
- Calmness under pressure
All staff are required to work within Nuffield Trust’s policies, ensuring these are carried out in relation to the job, e.g., Confidentiality, Data Protection, Equal Opportunities & Diversity.
All staff may be asked to undertake other duties and responsibilities appropriate to their level, as determined by their Line Manager, on an occasional basis.
This Job Description reflects the requirements of the post at the time of writing. The needs and circumstances may change over time and therefore the Job Description may need to be reviewed in the light of any such changes which may occur.