We are looking to recruit a creative and highly organised individual with a strong background in marketing and events to join our high performing Communications team in the role of Marketing & Events Manager (Maternity Cover). This fixed term position is a rare opportunity to join a leading independent research organisation that is influencing the future of health care policy and practice.
Your role will involve developing the Nuffield Trust’s marketing strategy to support our policy and research projects, and building on our stakeholder engagement work. The successful candidate will take the lead on developing our stakeholder mapping work further, to gain a deeper understanding of how our audiences engage with us. The candidate will also help to manage our Salesforce database.
As well as managing our marketing plans, the candidate will work alongside the Events & Marketing Officer to shape and deliver a high-profile and impactful events programme for health and social care leaders and policy-makers. The Marketing & Events Manager (Maternity Cover) will be part of a dynamic and integrated Communications team, made up of professionals in media relations and public affairs, marketing and events, digital communications and publishing.
Take lead responsibility for developing and delivering marketing plans that promote our research and analysis, including:
- Develop a marketing strategy for the organisation – mapping our current audience profile in order to improve the way our core audiences are managed and increase engagement with new audiences
- Develop and deliver audience plans as part of integrated communications strategies that promote our research projects, publications and other outputs
- Ensure our corporate materials and activities are promoted externally where appropriate;
- Co-ordinate our potential presence at external exhibitions, identifying opportunities to target key audience groups in a new way.
Help manage the Salesforce database, including:
- Identify ongoing opportunities for improving the way we use and manage our data in Salesforce to gain deeper insights about our key audiences
- Work with the Events & Marketing Officer to ensure all data is accurate and consistent
- Ensure our activities comply with data protection rules and that we follow industry standard practices for the use, maintenance and storage of data.
Help organise, manage and deliver the Nuffield Trust’s wide-ranging programme of events, taking a strategic approach to its development, including:
- Work with the Director of Communications to generate a balanced events programme with a wide-range of content which reflects corporate strategic priorities
- Work with the Events & Marketing Officer to manage the delivery of our events on time and to budget, with high satisfaction ratings from delegates
- Help to broker high-level partnerships for events with organisations that extend our audience reach and influence
- Maintain accurate financial records of individual budgets and expenditure on all events.
- As part of our corporate communications work, take the lead in preparing quarterly and annual reports for the Board of Trustees
- Represent the communications department at meetings of the Information Governance Committee.
Contribute to the Trust’s values
- Uphold the ethos of the Nuffield Trust, demonstrating a commitment to our principles of objectivity and equal opportunities.
- Understand and apply the principles of good research and information governance and abide by the Nuffield Trust research policies.
- Undertake any other duties which may reasonably be required in furtherance of the objectives of the Trust.
- Educated to degree level
- A professional qualification in marketing is desirable
Experience and knowledge
- Experience of leading successful marketing communications, ideally in a not-for-profit environment
- Experience of developing a marketing strategy, and an understanding of the current trends and tools used within audience development and marketing communications
- Experience of managing databases or playing a lead role within organisations that use CRM systems for marketing purposes
- Experience of working in events management and of delivering high-profile conferences on time and to budget
- Experience of managing staff effectively is desirable.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent project management and organisational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to write and proof materials for sense and accuracy
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and contact databases are essential.
- A curious and creative thinker
- Able to communicate effectively with people at all levels, including tact, diplomacy and assertiveness
- Able to solve problems and propose practical solutions when faced with difficulties
- Keen eye for detail
- Calm under pressure
- An interest in public policy and politics
- A commitment to equal opportunities.
All staff are required to work within Nuffield Trust’s policies, ensuring these are carried out in relation to the job, e.g., Confidentiality, Data Protection, Equal Opportunities & Diversity.
All staff may be asked to undertake other duties and responsibilities appropriate to their level, as determined by their Line Manager, on an occasional basis.
This Job Description reflects the requirements of the post at the time of writing. The needs and circumstances may change over time and therefore the Job Description may need to be reviewed in the light of any such changes which may occur.